Randwick Sources Logo

Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire
1894

Cainscross

CAINSCROSS is a village and ecclesiastical parish, formed in 1837 from the parishes of Stonehouse, Band-wick and Stroud, with EBLEY, DUDBRIDGE and parts of PAKENHILL and WESTRIP, and is near the Thames and Severn canal and Great Western and Midland railways, with a station at Dudbridge on the Bristol and Birmingham branch of the Midland railway, 10212 miles from London,1 west from Stroud and 11 south from Glou-cester, in the Mid division of the county, Whitstone hundred, Stroud union and county court district, petty sessional division of Whitminster, rural deanery of Stone-house, archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Matthew, erected in 1837, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave of five bays, aisles, north and west porches and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing i bell: the organ was erected in 1883 at a cost of about £350: there are 500 sittings. The register dates from the year 1838. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent-charge £2$, yearly value £160, with residence, in the gift of Mrs. Mary Ann Croome, and held since 1893 by the Rev. James Cornford M.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. Charities: —William Cosham bequeathed -in 1845. the sum of £1,400 in Consols, the interest to be applied yearly as follows :—£10 to the vicar, on condition that he holds a full service with sermon every Wednesday during Lent; .£10 for the organist; £3 for children who sing in the choir; £10 to be divided amongst twenty poor families; £6 for a dinner to the school children; and £3 towards the support of the schools. In the village is an ancient stone shaft surmounted by a sun dial, erected in 1754. The principal landowners are Samuel Butt esq. Mrs. Croome and Frederick Henry Croome esq. of Greenhouse Court, Painswick. The soil is loam; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat with some land in pasture. The area is 181 acres; the population in 1891 was 2,598. Sexton, George Chandler.
DUDBBIDGE is a village 1 mile west from Stroud, with
a station on the Nailsworth branch of the Midland
railway.

EBLEY is a village in the civil parish of Stonehouse
and adjoining the village of Cainscross, 114 miles west
from Stroud and half a mile from Dudbridge station;
it contains a Countess of Huntingdon's chapel, rebuilt by
subscription in 1881 at a cost of £3,300. There is also
a large woollen cloth mill and a steam sawing mill. PAKENHILL is three-quarters of a mile north-east and
Westrip 1 mile north-west.
POST, M. 0. & T. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office. —Mrs. Maria Hyett, sub-postmistress. Letters via Stroud arrive at 6.50 a.m. & 2.10 p.m. Sundays, 6.50 a.m. ; dispatched on Sundays, 8.10 p.m
POST OFFICE, Ebley.—George Olpin, sub-postmaster. Letters from Stroud, dispatched at 10.15 a.m. & 5.50 & 8.10 p.m. ; Sundays, 8.5 p.m. Cainscross is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
POST OFFICE, Dudbridge.—John Sandling, sub-postmaster. Letters via Stroud arrive at 7.10 a.m. & 2.15 p.m. ; Sundays, 7.10 a.m. ; dispatched 6.35 p.m. week days only. Cainscross is the nearest money order & telegraph office. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
SCHOOLS:—
National (mixed), Cainscross, erected in 1877 at a cost of £3,000, for 300 children; average attendance, 95 boys, 94 girls & 69 infants; there is a house for the master; Charles Bennett, master; Miss Mary Annie Rayner, girls' mistress; Miss Mary Jane Boucher, infants' mistress
British (mixed), Ebley, built in 1840, for 350 children; average attendance, 80 boys, 60 girls & 60 infants; Walter Nuttall, master; Miss Louisa Lusty, girls mistress
Railway Station, Dudbridge, James Perry, station master



CAINSCROSS

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Clissold William, Milton house
Cornford Rev. James M.A. Vicarage
Curtis Charles, Field house
Darke William H. 3 Ashler place
Foster William, The Laurels
Gobey Mrs. Old bank
Herbert Miss
King Theophilus James, 1 Ashler place
Laidlaw John, 2 Ashler place
Lane John, The, Lawn
Mabbett Mrs. Brand villa
Nicholls Mrs
Phipps Thomas, Parklands
Pitt Benjamin, Arbutus house
Powell Herbt. Augustus, Fairlight ho
Rogers James Henry, Cainscross villa
Whitfield Wesley, Kingley cottage

COMMERCIAL.

Ashmead Ernest, wheelwright, carpenter & undertaker
Browning Charl.(Mrs.),shopkpr. Oldhl
Cainscross & Ebley Co-operative Society (Bramwell Hudson, manager)
Cainscross' Reading Room & Institute (A. J. Blakey, secretary)
Carpenter & Co. brewers & maltsters', Cainscross brewery
Chandler George, plasterer
Cordwell & Bigg, brewers, Hamwell Leaze brewery
Cratchley Alfred Thomas, beer retailer & plasterer, Westrip
Croome Mary Arm (Miss), shopkeeper, Cashes green
Darke George Henry, chemist & druggist, assessor & collector of income tax '
Demmery Samuel, shoe maker
Farnham Mary Rebecca (Mrs.), private school
Fawkes Walter Thomas, joiner
Fletcher William, shopkeeper
Gaskins William, hay & straw dlr
Gay Thomas, blacksmith & shopkpr
Harper Frederick James, builder & brick manufacturer
Hill James, general dealer
Hooper William, White Horse inn Jeffries Emma (Mrs.), accoucheuse & nurse Jefferies Mary Jane (Miss), shopkeeper Westrip
Knight Henry, hairdresser
King William, baker
Lord Elizh. (Mrs.), beer retlr. Westrip
Luker Fredk. shopkpr. & butcher
Mabbett William Mosley, butcher
Pearce George Hy. carriage builder
Pearce John Alfred, chemist & druggist & registrar of births, deaths & marriages for Stonehouse sub-district, Stroud union
Phipps Samuel, farmer, Westrip
Phipps Thomas, farmer, Westrip
Pitt Edward Charles, picture dealer
Pitt Napthali Charles, cork manfr
Prue Thomas, grocer
Rustell George, farm bailiff to God-sell & Sons', Westrip
Shill William, beer retailer
Smith Harriet Elizabeth (Mrs.), grocers & agents for W. & A. Gilbey Lim, wine & spirit merchants
Smith Walter, shopkeeper
Stephens Alfd. Hy. tailor, Cashes grn
Vines Frederick, machine belt maker & saddler
White Eli, stationer &c
Wicks Fanny (Mrs.), lodging house



DUDBRIDGE.

Apperley Mrs. Dudbridge house
Smith Adolphus Charles

COMMERCIAL.

Apperley, Bidlake & Co. woollen mers Apperley,
Curtis & Co. woollen cloth manufacturers, Dudbridge mills Butt John, coal merchant Casey Louisa (Mrs.), shopkeeper & beer retailer
Clarke James, beer retailer
Harrison Edward, beer retailer
Holborow & Co. engineers, Dudbridge
iron works
Humpidge & Snoxell, engineers & ironfoundiers
Jefferies Saml. coal mer. & brick ma
Kimmins, Drew & Co. millers (steam & water), corn & cake merchants
Knight William, corn merchant
Pearce Henry & Alfred, brick makers
Sandling John, basket maker, Post ofl
Smith Adolphus Charles1, wool dyer
Smith Joseph, beer retlr. & haulier
Stephens Thomas, Railway inn
Ward Edgecombe Thomas, corn factor
Webb Annie (Mrs.), plumber
Whitfield! Wesley, engineer & millwrgh
Worth Thomas B. & Son, brussels carpet manufacturers

EBLEY.

PRIVATE RESIDENTS.

Davies Mrs. R. Spry, Elmfield house
Gainer Mrs
Gaunt Thomas, Ebley villa
Harper James, Byron cottage
Harper Mrs. Brightside
Jefferies Stephen
Kimmins James Charles, Ebley court
Lane Joseph, Bristol house
Lame William, Bridge house
Nott Rev. Robert (Countess of Huntingdon)
Pitt George
Friday Miss
Salter Miss, Clare villa
Smith Charles, Omega house
Smith Frederick, Cedar villa
Smith Joseph, Highfield villa Spring
Mrs. Fairmount
Stephens Frank Arthur, The Vale ho
Stephens Hy. Saml. The Vale house
Tiley Walter, Hill view
Webb Mrs
Webb Thomas, Clifton villa
Willoughby Mrs

COMMERCIAL.

Addison Hannah (Mrs.), beer retailer
Barnard Edgar Hutton, harness & slay maker, Holly Tree house
Brunsden William, shopkeeper
Collins William, inland revenue officer
Davis Richard Miles, shoe maker
Grivel Mary (Mrs.), beer retlr. & grcr
Harper Bros, teasel, hay & straw & cider merchants
Hopkins Charles, grocer & baker
Humphries Leah (Miss), dress maker
lies Arthur, beer retailer
Jefferies1 Charles, shopkeeper
Jefferies Henry, seedsman & haulier
Keene John, wire worker
Knight William, oil mills
Latham Jacob, shopkeeper
Lewis Samuel, plumber
Marling & Co. Limited, worsted & woollen cloth manufacturers, Ebley
mills & Stanley mills
Matthews William Henry, Lamb inn & blacksmith
Mills John, Old Crown P.H
Mortimer Thomas, timber merchant & sawing mills
Olpin George, grocer & post office
Phillips Mary (Mrs.), draper
Pitt Thos. Geo. builder & contractor
Powell Alfred, farmer, Chesnut farm
Shipway Jehu & Sons, millwrights &engineers
Smith Rogers & Co. Lim. bacon curers,
Tiley Walter, butcher
White Richard, lime merchant
White Thomas, plumber.