Randwick Sources Logo

Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire
1894

Haresfield

HARESFIELD is a parish, 6 miles south from Gloucester, 6 north-west from Stroud and 108 from London, with a station on the Midland railway, in the Northern division of the county, Whitstone hundred, Wheatenhurst union, Gloucester county court district, petty sessional division of Whitminster, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Peter, repaired in 1840, is an ancient building of stone in the Norman style, consisting of two chancels, one beyond the other, the further one belonging to the vicar, the other to the lay impropriator, nave, north and south porches, and a western tower with spire containing a clock and 6 bells: there are about 200 sittings. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1558; marriages, 1565; burials, 1559. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value ;£180, arising from 144 acres of glebe, in lieu of tithe, with residence, in the gift of Arthur Edward jNiblett esq. and held since 1890 by Rev. Cecil Henry Salt; there are in addition 278 acres impropriate, allotted in 1815, in lieu of tithe. The charities of £15 yearly value are derived from a rent-charge on land, of which £4 is for education and £11 for the poor. On the adjacent hill, an outlying part of the Cotswold range, is a camp, first constructed by the British, and afterwards occupied by the Romans; a prominent point
on this hill, anciently a beacon, affords a view of the vale of the Severn, the Malvern Hills, and those of the Forest of Dean. Royston is the residence of Henry Millett esq.; near the house is an ancient moat. Hares-field Court, an ancient building of stone, is the property and residence of Robert Ingham Tidswell esq. M.A., J.P. who is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is clay and oolite; subsoil, stone beds. The chief crops are wheat, beans and pasturage. The area is 1,980 acres of land and 175 of water; rateable value, ,£8,279; the population in 1891 was, civil 458, ecclesiastical, 382.

COLTHROP, a hamlet formerly in Standish, by a Local Government Board Order, 24th March, 1884, was included in this parish, but for ecclesiastical purposes is still in Standish.
Parish Clerk, John Jones.
POST & Telegraph Office.—Charles Gardner, sub-postmaster. Letters received from Stonehouse at 8.15 a.m.; dispatched at 5.25 p.m. The nearest money order office is at Stonehouse. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
Parochial School (mixed), built in 1873, for So children ; average attendance, 54; Miss Emma Cleverly, mistress, with assistant Railway Station, Charles Stuffins, station master

Butt William, Upper piece
Dowdeswell Mrs. Albion villa
Long Edmund, Upper green
Millett Henry,
Royston Salt Rev. Cecil Henry, Vicarage
Tidswell Robert Ingham M.A., J.P. Haresfield court

COMMERCIAL.

Chandler Eliza & Sarah (Missis), farmers, Round house
Chandler George Cooper, farmer, Chesnut farm
Coleman Joseph Reuben, grocer, baker &, beer retailer
Cooper Joseph, farmer, Glebe farm
Dowdeswell George, beer retailer
Fisher Kate (Mrs.), Beacon & Railway hotel
Gazard George, farmer, Hayes farm
Hawkins William, fa.rmer, Park end
Higgs Mary Ann (Miss), grocer, Upper green
Hill Charles, farmer, Ring Hill farm
Jefferies John Robert, farmer, Oakley farm
Jenner Arthur, farmer
Jeremy Richard, farm bailiff to R. I. Tidswell esq J.P. Lower Green frrn
Keen Charles William, farmer
Neems Henry, farmer, Malt house
Neerns John, farmer, Colthrop Crt,fm
Rickards Charles Reuben, butcher
Warner Robert Edward, farmer, Hill Mead farm