Randwick Sources Logo

Morris & Co's Directory of Gloucestershire
1876

RANDWICK is a parish and village in Stroud union, containing, by the census of 1801, 1060, and in 1871, 1089 inhabitants, and 585 acres of land, in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Whitmore, East Gloucestershire; 1,1/2 mile north-west from Stroud, and 8 south from Gloucester, forming part of the Parliamentary Borough of Stroud. The vicarage in the incumbency of the Rev. John Elliott, M.A., is valued at 150 per annum, with residence, and is in the patronage of the vicar of Standish. The church is an ancient edifice, dedicated to St. John, consisting of nave, chancel, south aisle and porch, with tower containing 4 hells; it has lately been restored. The Wesleyans have a place of worship here, which was originally erected in 1807, and was rebuilt in 1824; it is a neat edifice, with clock and turret, and one bell. The Primitive Methodists have also a place of worship here. There is a National school for children of both sexes, which has an endowment of 42 per annum. The poor have charitable bequests, producing about 50 per annum. Mrs. M. S. Barrow, widow of the late T. J. H. Barrow, Esq., is lady of the manor. From Randwick Ash there are some magnificent views of the surrounding country, including the valley of the Severn, with the Malvern Hills in the distance.

OXLINCH is a hamlet of this parish.

EBLEY is a hamlet, partly in this parish and partly in Stonehouse, the residents of which are given in the latter place.

WESTRIP is also a hamlet of this parish, partly in Stonehouse. The rateable value of this parish is 2473.

Clergy and Gentry.
Barrow Mrs. Martha Sophia, The Ryelands
Carpenter John Howell, Esq., Longcourt
Edwards Rev. Edgar Win., B.A. (curate), Pool cottage
Elliott Rev. John, M.A., The Vicarage

Trades end Professions
Baker Joseph, National schoolmaster
Baxter Henry, baker and confectioner
Chandler Thomas, boot and shoemaker
Dickenson James, farmer, Roadway farm
Godsell Thomas, farmer, Westrip farm
Holder Mrs. Selina., "Rising Sun' inn
Holder William, beer retailer, baker, and shopkeeper
Hopson John, farmer, Red House farm Westrip,
King Jesse, shopkeeper, Oxlinch
Knight Edward, farmer, Oxlinch
Knott 'William, beer retailer and shopkeeper
Knott William, junr., shopkeeper
Mann WillIam, shopkecper, Oxlinch
Martin Thomas Butt, farmer, Blenheim house
Pearce John, farmer and limeburner
Pearce Richard, carpenter
Pearce Thomas carpenter, Oxlinch
Phipps Samuel and Lawrence
Miss Susannah, farmers, Lower Westrip farm
Steele Reuben, shopkeeper

Post Office
Charlotte Barling, sub-postmistress.
Letters delivered at 9.25 ant., dispatched at 4.40 p.m.
Stroud is the post town and Cainscross the nearest money order office