RANDWICK is a parish and village, with the hamlet of OXLINCH,
112 miles north-west from Stroud and 8 south from Gloucester, in the Mid
division of the county, Whit-stone hundred, petty sessional division of
Whitminster, Stroud union and county court district, rural deanery and
archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church,
of St. John is an ancient building of stone, in the Perpendicular style,
consisting of chancel, nave of two bays, aisles, west porch and an embattled
western tower containing 4 bells: the church was re-stored and enlarged in
1867, under the direction of Mr. Baker, architect, of Cainscross, Stroud, and
is now (1894) undergoing further restoration, at an estimated cost of .£1,850;
the work includes the rebuilding of the south aisle, in place of old double
transepts, in the Early English style, and the erection of the Elliott
memorial aisle, in memory of the Rev. John Elliott M.A. vicar from 1819 to
1891, when he .died at the advanced age of 100 years, it opens into the
chancel by two new arches: the chancel has also been new roofed, and a stained
east window presented by friends of the late vicare: an organ chamber, built
on the north side, and a rose window, the gift of John Libby esq. inserted in
the west end: there are 312 sittings. The register dates from the year 1662.
The living is a vicarage, average tithe rent-charge £100, gross yearly value
£122, net £145, including 55 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of
the vicar of Standish, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Alfred Charles Lowth
M.A. of Keble College, Oxon. There are Primitive Methodist and Wesleyan
The charities amount to about £60 yearly, derived from land, of which £37 10S. is devoted to education, £16 for church purposes, and £12 10s. is distributed to the poor in kind. From Randwick Ash a splendid view is obtained of the Malvern Hills, the vale of Gloucestershire and the .Severn. The Rev, Thomas Edward Morris Barrow M.A. of Taunton, is lord< of the manor, and Lord Sherborne and Miss Hallewell are chief landowners. The soil is limy; subsoil, stone. The chief crops are wheat, turnips and pasture. The area is 604 acres; rateable value, £896; the population in 1891 was, civil, 546; ecclesiastical, 638, and in 1894 785 portions of this parish were transferred under the " Divided Parishes Act," to the parishes of Hares-field, Moreton Valence, Standish, Stonehouse and Stroud, and portions of the parishes of Stroud and Standish transferred to Randwick, and some portions of Stonehouse have been re-transferred to Randwick.
Parish Clerk, James Bolton.
POST OFFICE.óJames Bolton, sub-postmaster. Letters via Stroud at 9.20 a.m.; dispatched at 4.40 p.m.; 9.25 a.m. Sundays. The nearest money order & tele-graph office is at Cainscross. Postal orders are issued here, but not paid
National School (mixed), built in 1856 & enlarged in 1872 & 1879 & 1884, for 170 children; average attendance, 150; it is endowed with £37 l0s. yearly, mentioned above; there is a house for the master; Thomas Mortimer, master; Miss Julia Legge, infants' mistress
Carpenter John Howell, Long-court
Lowth Rev Alfd Chas M.A.Vicarage
Orchard Mrs. Pool cottage
Blanch Sarah (Mrs.), farmer
Chandler Thomas, shoe maker
Cole Thomas, shopkeeper
Cratchley William, Rising Sun P.H.
Fennemore John, haulier
Fluck Peter, shopkeeper
Miss Julia Legge, infants mistress
Jenkins Mary (Mrs.), shopkeeper .
Knight Geo. frmr. & assistant overseer
Nott Mary Ann (Mrs.), beer retailer
Shelton George, beer rtlr. & shopkpr