Randwick Sources Logo

Morris & Co's Directory of Gloucestershire
1876

Standish

STANDISH is a village and parish in Wheatenhurst union, containing, by the census of 1861, 525, and in 1871, 528 inhabitants, with 3388 acres of land ; in the deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester, diocese of Gloucester and Bristol, hundred of Whitstone, East Gloucestershire ; about 1 mile south from Haresfield Station on the Midland Railway, 6 south-west from Gloucester, and 6 north-west from Stroud. The vicarage, with the chapelry of Hardwicke attached, is valued at £500 per annum, with residence and 90 acres of glebe land, and is in the incumbency of the Rev. John William Sheringham, M.A., Hon. Canon of Gloucester, and the patronage of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol. The church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is in the Decorated style, and consists of nave, chancel, and porch, with spire and a peal of 6 bells ; it was restored and a good organ added in 1867, at a cost of £1400. There is a Parochial School for children of both sexes. The remains of a British and Roman Camp exist on a hill in the neighbourhood, one of the Cotswold Range, and from that portion on which the Beacon stood, there are splendid views of the surrounding country, including the Forest of Dean, the Malvern Hills, and the vale of the Severn. Lord Sherborne is lord of the manor.
COLETHROP is a hamlet of this parish, about 2 miles north. It contains a School, which is also used as a Chapel, and was erected principally at the expense of the lord of the manor, John Daniel Thomas Niblett, Esq., who officiates as reader in the parish. The rateable value of this parish is £7927.

STANDISH.

Clergy and Gentry.
Hawkins Mr. Nathaniel, Putloe
Sheringham Rev. John W., M.A., Hon. Canon of Gloucester, The Vicarage

Trades and Professions.
Butcher Samuel, farmer, Standish Park
Butcher William, farmer, Standish Moreton
Butt Miss Ellen, National schoolmistress
Butt Mrs., farmer, Little Haresfield farm
Butt William, miller and farmer, Standish Court
Chandler Robert, farmer, Standish Stocks
Dowdeswell Mrs. Catherine, farmer
Fluck Mrs. Eliza, farmer
Harris Joshua, parish clerk
Harris Mrs., shopkeeper
Hawkins Henry Nathaniel, maltster, Stroud Green
Loach Charles, " Halfway House "
Matthews Augustus, artificial manure manufacturer, Pitchcomb mill
Merrett Daniel farmer, Putloe
Pearce Charles, blacksmith, Putloe
Pearce John, wheelwright, Putloe
Friday Samuel Wilkes, butcher and farmer
Sallabank James, " Castle," Park End bridge
Vaughan Hubert, junr., pig dealer, Standish Moreton
Vick Thomas, cattle dealer
Heaven Daniel Dowdeswell, farmer and maltster,
Colethrop farm Jenner Charles, farmer, Manor farm
Jenner Mrs. Elizabeth, farmer, Manor farm
Jenner Henry, farmer, Cross farm and Pool farm
Martin Henry, farmer
Witts George, shopkeeper

COLETHROP.

Griffiths William, shopkeeper

Wall Letter Box, at the School.—Letters delivered at 7.30 a.m., box cleared at 5 p.m. (Sundays excepted). Stonehouse is the Post Town and nearest money order office

National School.—Miss Ellen Butt, mistress