Randwick Sources Logo

Kelly's Directory of Gloucestershire
1894

Standish

STANDISH is a parish three-quarters of a mile south from Haresfield station on the Bristol and Birmingham section of the Midland railway and on the South Wales branch of the Great Western railway, 6 miles south from Gloucester and 5 north-west from Stroud, in the Northern division of the county, Whitstone hundred, Gloucester county court district, petty sessional division of Whitminster, Wheatenhurst union, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Gloucester and diocese of Gloucester and Bristol. The church of St. Nicholas is a building of stone, in the Late Decorated style, consisting of chancel, nave, north porch and a western tower, with broach spire, containing 6 bells: the church was new roofed and otherwise repaired in 1867, and has sittings for 220 persons. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, with that of Hardwick annexed, average tithe rent-charge 307, joint net yearly value 310, including 86 acres of glebe, with two houses, in the gift of the Bishop of Gloucester and Bristol and held since 1889 by the Rev. Alexander Nash M.A. of Brasenose College, Oxford. Standish House, the property of Lord Sherborne, was erected in 1830 and stands in a park well studded with timber; it is now the residence of Mrs. King. Lord Sherborne, who is lord of the manor and Robert Ingham Tidswell esq. M.A., J.P. of Haresneld Court, Stonehouse, are chief landowners. The soil is clayey, sandy and loamy; subsoil, blue lias and oolite. The chief crops are wheat, beans and pasturage. The area is 3,022 acres; rateable value, 7,480; in 1891 the population was 458. Under the " Divided Parishes Act" portions of Moreton Valence and Bandwick were transferred to Standish and portions of Standish to Longney, Haresneld, Pitchcombe, Moreton Valence and Stroud


COLTHROP is a hamlet, about 2 miles north, ecclesiastically in this parish, but was by a Local Government Board Order, 24 Mar. 1884, included for civil purposes in the parish of Haresfield. A chapel of ease was erected here in 1874.
Parish Clerk, Joshua Harris.
WALL LETTER Box, Standish School, cleared at 5.50 p.m. Letters arrive by messenger from Stonehouse at 7 a.m. WALL Box, Putloe, cleared at 4.30 p.m. week days only. WALL Box, Stocks Farm, cleared at 6 p.m. week days only. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Haresfield
Parochial School, Standish (mixed), for 75 children; average attendance, 60 ; Edward Jenner, master Standish.

King Mrs. Standish house
Nash Rev. Alex. M.A. Vicarage

COMMERCIAL.
Barton Henry, farmer, Green farm
Butt Frank, frmr. Lit. Haresfield frm
Chandler Robert, farmer, Stock's frm
Dowdeswell Robt. farmer, Glebe farm
Fowler Eobert, farmer, Horse Marling
Harris Joshua, boot & shoe maker & parish clerk
Hawkins Frederick, farmr. Pidgemore
Hawkins Thos. farmer, The Welches
James Edwin Thomas, farmer, Little
Haresfield farm Knight Edward, farmer, Oxlinch
Lush Leonard Stephen, maltster, Stroud green
Pearce Charles, blacksmith, Moreton green
Priday Thomas, registrar of births & deaths, Haresfield sub-district, Wheatenhurst union, Putloe
Prout George, farmer, Standish court & Park End Lodge farm
Prout Percival, miller (water), Standish court
Smith Joseph, blacksmith, Standish Moreton
Smith Bowland, gamekeeper to Lord Sherborne, The Kings, Oxlinch
Summers William, farmer
Summers William, jun. pig dlr. Putloe
Vick Nathanl. frmr. Standish Moreton
Vick William, cattle dealer
Vines Jesse, farmer, Standish park
Wakefield Henry, farmer, Road farm
White Alfred, farmer, Court house

COLTHROP.

COMMERCIAL.
Chandler Charles Henry, steward to Robert Ingham Tidwell esq. M.A., J.P. Pool farm
Griffiths William, shopkeeper
Knight Edward, farmer, Pool farm
Martin Francis, farmer, Cross farm
Neems Jn. farmr. Colthrop Court frm
Theyer Hy. Isaac, farmr. Colthrop fin
Witts George, farmer