Randwick Sources Logo

A History of Randwick
By E. P. Fennemore
1893

Chapter 11

OTHER OBJECTS OF INTEREST.

(1). The Mayor's Pool. This is situate at the rear of the village, with the Rectory to the right, and Pool Cottage at the back. The road from Cainscross passes it. A fine spring of pure water empties itself into it, which is much used in dry weather. As its name Implies, it is annually used for the purposes of the Wap, and it is always cleaned out by the villagers at four o'clock on the morning of Wap Monday, and banked up so as to become full for the evening's use.

(2). The "Spoult." This is situate in the Wellays, which is next the Churchyard. It provides water for most of the villagers, being seldom, if ever, dry. It used to be quite rustic looking, but has been modernised by the late Lady of the Manor. At all hours of the day children may be seen wending their way to this spring, armed with buckets and pails, which, by-the-bye, are often set, down by its side while a game of horses, marbles or skipping is indulged in.

(3). " The Hole," is a parish well, midway between Ocker Hill and The Grip. Its waters are pure, and might be used for drinking purposes, if kept clean, and free from stones.

(4). The " Lousey Stone." This is situate in N. W. part of Randwick Wood, and it is easily reached from the Stoble Green. It consists of an upright stone, and almost suggests its having done duty as a gate post at some remote time. This was formerly a favourite resort of the villagers, on Sunday after dinner, especially in the summer. The village tradition concerning this monument of antiquity is rather curious, viz., that in old time it was the general executioner for those insects which are superfluous on any part of the human body. Hence its name.

(5). The Tumulus, or Long Barrow. This is is situate on the top of Raudwick Hill, within the entrenchments of an ancient camp; not far .from the Castles Quarry, and easily get-at-able from the Robbers' Road. it was opened in 1883 by Mr. E. Witchell, when several skeletons were discovered on the outside of the South wall in a sitting posture. These were considered by authorities to be the remains of slaves or retainers, who, being refused admittance to the Barrow itself, were buried as near as possible. Within the principal chamber were found, rather near the surface, two pieces of Roman pottery and also half of a Roman horse-shoe. On nearing the bottom, several pieces of old British pottery (without the mark of the potter's wheel), three flint flakes, and a mass of human bones were discovered. The skulls showed the remains belonged to the Dolicocephalic or long-headed race. Many of the bones, and also some of the stones, were much burnt, some being quite black. In the centre line of the Barrow, about twelve feet from the Western Quarry, on the original surface of the grpund, were found five large flint flakes, with several pieces of old British pottery.

This Tumulus is of the kind known as "Horned Barrows," one of the earliest forms of burial mounds found in Great Britain, and is considered to be of earlier date than those at Uley, Nymphsfield, or Nutgrove.*
(*From "Proceedings of the Cotteswold Club," per C. A. Witchell, Esq.)

There were formerly more objects of interest to be seen in the village, such as the Workhouse, the Stocks, the Pound, and the Charity School.

To commence with the last named, the Charity School was founded by Mr. Robert Ellis, about 1773, who left 100 to purchase lands, half of the income to go to the master of the school. the school, however, was started during his lifetime, as shown by the book ordered by him to be kept at the school, in which he is mentioned as one of the Trustees who was often present. This Charity School was kept at what is now called the schoolhouse, Master Harmer's father being the first schoolmaster probably, a post which he held for 44 years and 9 months. His son, George Harmer, also held the school for some years. A limited number of scholars were admitted by the Trustees and dismissed by them. Books were found them, and they were expected to attend regularly, behave properly, as well as to appear at Church on Sunday with the master. Clothes were also found them in which to attend school.
(* It will be seen on a reference to the "Benefactions" that several other people left money towards founding this Charity School.)

The Workhouse formerly stood in the Cowless, that piece of land which was given in 1485. It is believed that the " Church House," which was built on this land, was converted into this Workhouse. At one time pin-making was here taught the children, and Mr Elliott used one of the rooms as a lecture room. It was, however, pulled down many years ago, at the time the Rectory was built, and the materials used for building that edifice, the cellars, the writer believes, being paved with the stones which formerly acted as a floor for this older building; and some massive stone supports in the Rectory larder also stood in the old Workhouse. Parts of the walls of this edifice are still standing in the Rectory garden.

The Village Stocks originally stood at the place called after them, though no person now living remembers their being used. The writer was recently told by an old villager that he remembered seeing them by what is now the Post Office, and also seeing boys put in them for fun.

The Pound is now enclosed and filled in. It formerly communicated with " the street" by a wooden gate. Here all animals were put which were found straying, the " hayward," or keeper, of the pound dividing a twig between himself and the one to whom damage was done, giving it to the owner when he had paid the dues required, when the animals were restored to him. There are in the Overseers' Book, before mentioned, several notices of payment by the Hayward of the Pound.