PREVIOUS to 1832 the benefice was a perpetual curacy, in the patronage of the Vicar of Standish; who originally paid the curate £8 8s. a year. The tithes and some glebe belonged to the Abbey of Gloucester, and were given to that See at the Dissolution. The small tithes formerly belonged to the Vicar of Standish. The parish at one time paid 3/4 a year to be exempt from the repairs of the Mother Church, and Standish also paid an acknowledgement of l0d. a year to be exempt from relieving the poor of Randwick.
Early in 1832 the Vicar of Standish, with the consent of the Bishop of the Diocese, as patron of the living of Standish augmented the Perpetual Curacy of Randwick (being a chapelry attached) by alienating the vicarial tithes of the parish of Randwick, and annexing them in perpetuity, to the Perpetual Curacy under the provisions of an Act passed the previous session in Parliament. The living was formerly of the nett annual value of £140: but the addition of the great tithes to the gross annual value of about £60 has now augmented its nett value to £180, and seems to have converted it to a rectory. *
(*" STROUD NEWS")
The Rev. John Elliott was the first resident minister, still a perpetual curate, and he obtained the Bishop's sanction to reside outside the parish, for three years, at Blenheim House, (and also do the whole duty himself,) as the rectory was not built till 1844.
I find no signatures by the minister in the Registers earlier than 1753, after which the minister's signature appears at the end of the year for many years. The following list of ministers has been obtained from Gloucester Diocesan Registry:-
Randwick was declared a Vicarage by the 28th Victoria, Cap. 42, published in the London Gazette, 4th December, 1866.
Radulph Meisy and his wife Margaret are both buried in Randwick Churchyard, his being the oldest legible tombstone. Vincent Rice's signature occurs in the Standish Registers; the wife of Rice Jones is interred in the tomb of Raduiph Meisy, while in 1780 lie signs himself in the Standish Registers as " Rector of Hascomb"; Thomas Parker, in 1754, signs himself as curate of Standish in the Standish Registers while Thomas Rawlins calls himself, on a tablet in Randwick Church, " minister of this church," and his beneficent donations are thereon recorded; lie was also minister when tile first portion of the South Aisle was built, although his signature nowhere appears in the Registers. David Lloyd and his wife are also buried here, as well as (Rev.) John Elliott and his family.
The Rev. John Elliott was born at Stonehouse, December 19th, 1791, his father being a school master. He was for a time assistant at the school of the Rev. J. Williams, then curate of Stroud, afterwards rector of Woodchester in 1823. He afterwards went to St. Edmund's Hall, Oxford, and became B.A. in 1818, and MA. in 1821. Mr. Elliott was ordained deacon in the Palace Chapel at Gloucester, September 21st, 1817, and priest in Gloucester Cathedral in June, 1818, by the same Bishop. He was curate of Saul and Moreton Valence under Mr. Jones. On 31st January, 1819, he was licensed as incumbent of Randwick, on the presentation of Mr. Halifax then Vicar of Standish. Mr. Elliott was the first resident minister, and even he resided for some time out of the parish, until the erection of a Glebe House or Manse in 1844. ("Stroud News") At both houses lie took pupils, among whom was a brother of the Rev. C. II. Davis, formerly of Cainscross, the late Mr. J. W. Hallewell, as well as his brother, Mr. C. Hallewell.
The following advertisement is culled from the Gloucester Journal, of July 2 1st, 1823
In February, 1829, Mr. Elliott went up to Oxford, to vote against Sir R. Peel, on his Roman Catholic Emancipation Bill. Mr. Elliott was a sturdy Protestant, and having in a sermon once said that Romanism had got into the body of the Church, a parishioner took such offence as never to attend the Church again, declaring that it must be he who was meant, as he was the only person in the body of the Church. At the opening of Whiteshill Church in 1840, Mr. Elliott preached the sermon. He was presented with plate in his jubilee year. On the occasion of his ninety-ninth birthday an interesting service was held in the Church (and twelve lime trees were planted in the Churchyard, by members of his family and friends). The rev, gentleman on the occasion of his ninety-first birthday, which fell on a Sunday, preached from Rev. iv., 1, and the subject of his last sermon was taken from Romans vi., 3 (August 11th, 1889), when he was ninety-seven years of age. His last public address was to some school teachers in our village church, September, 1890. He was the oldest clergyman in England, and held the Incumbency of Randwick seventy-two years. The death of the rev, gentleman took place Sunday, January 4th, 1891, and the funeral the Saturday following. He was buried by his curate (Rev. E. W. Edwards), assisted by Rev. T. P. Little (Edge), and Rev. A. Nash (Standish). The coffin was placed in the family vault by the side of Mrs. Elliott, who died nineteen years previously, and five of their children are buried in the vault. Muffled peals were rung on the evening of his funeral at Randwick, Stroud (St. Lawrence), and at St. Martin's, Birmingham (Mr. Jones, a church-warden, being an old Randwick friend).*